The headwaters of the Elk River are home to lofty peaks, glaciers, vast forests, scenic meadows, and clean pristine waterways. The Stoney Indians referred to this country as Nyahe ya Nibi, meaning “heart of the mountains”. Summer is a beautiful time to visit the Elk Valley, and what better way than by horseback to one of our backcountry cabins to do some fishing, hiking, wildlife viewing, or just plain relaxing.
Summer pack trips are completely customizable to your group. Our popular four day trip involves arriving in basecamp, then travelling by horse to our Wesfork camp, where you can spend the balance of the day fishing or enjoying the scenery. The second day we ride to Abruzzi lake for some cutthroat trout fishing at the base of the Abruzzi Massif. Day three we ride to Cadorna Lake for more fishing, or perhaps a hike around the lake to one of the waterfalls, all the while in the shadow of three giant glacier clad peaks. Day four we have breakfast and ride back to basecamp.
For anglers we have allocated rod days allowing us to guide non-residents on the Elk River and its tributaries. Westslope Cutthroat trout, Bull Trout, and Mountain Whitefish call these waters home. We also have several alpine lakes that abound with cutthroat, all of these lakes are accessed on horseback.
For the more adventurous we offer wilderness packtrips to the far reaches of the Elk Valley backcountry. These trips offer amazing scenery and adventure, but the country is rugged and not for the faint of heart. We travel through the mountains, camping in tents as we travel from one location to the next.
Another summer possibility is bear viewing. In June when the avalanche chutes are full of fresh new vegetation the bears can be seen gorging themselves after their winter fasting. Again later in August the bears are attracted to berry patches, which provides great viewing opportunities.
- Click here to visit our Summer Adventure Photo Gallery
- For overnight pack trips we charge $400 per person per day, with a minimum of two per group. Groups of four or more we offer a 10% discount.
- We also offer day rides at $250 per person.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
- For all overnight trips, a 25% non-refundable deposit is required to reserve a trip.
- Cancellation after Jan.1st of the year of your trip will result in forfeiture, or you may postpone to a future date. Deposits are fully refundable prior.